January 1, 2011

Ice Cream, Alliteration, and Magic

Although our vacation has been mostly lazy, we've managed to get out and do a few things. We wanted to see the latest Harry Potter flick, but realized we hadn't watched #6 yet. So we popped in the DVD the night before and got all caught up.  Poor Dumbledore. I thought knowing the plot in advance would soften the blow, but my heart still goes out to him. Sure, Mufasa's death is still the saddest in cinema, but who doesn't love the old wizard? Pour some butterbeer for those lost. Anyhow, is it just me or are these movies getting better? I remember the computer animation having poor quality in the early films. By that I mean it wasn't up to Jurassic Park standards. That's what I hold everything up to. If your CGI can't even match a movie that came out in 1994, well, that's just kinda pathetic. Anyhow, suffice it to say I enjoyed both #6 and #7a.

A couple nights later we met up with our pals A.J. and Georgia downtown for ice cream. A quaint little shop in north Portland that serves handmade ice cream. They have some good stuff, if you're in the area you should definitely stop by. Martha and I still agree that Casper's in Logan has the best hand scoops, but Ruby Jewel, you're a close second.

The other morning we met up with Jayme and Jeb for breakfast at the Reedville Cafe. Breakfast was OK, conversation was excellent.

In between getting out, we've stayed in and played a few games. I'm a fan of Guestures (pretty much like  charades if you've never played it before) but Scattergories was another favorite. Personally, I don't like that game. Why? Because it rewards people for being outlandish. It always turns into an argument. The game should be called pre-law prep, or debate your way to victory. Inevitably, someone utters the phrase, "Woooool, if _____ got _______, then mine definitely counts". Anyone who's played that game, holler if you hear me. If I want to play a game that rewards me for witty deception, I'm sticking to Balderdash.

2 comments :

Jennifer said...

Were you guys in Oregon for Christmas? We just got back to CA today--so sad we missed seeing you!!

Jayme said...

We ALWAYS enjoy your company. You two are pretty special in my book. Thanks for squeezing us in on your visit. Much love!!!