October 7, 2010

Babies Update

Even though our "babies" are more like toddlers, they are just so cute I have to keep calling them babies! Plus it still seems very weird to me to say "my kids." Do I really have kids? Have I reached that stage? Crazy....

Rowan started taking his first shaky steps months ago but until recently a few steps from coffee table to love sac was enough for him. He is getting brave :-) The other night he was going crazy with walking and he just wanted to run, run, run!! Only he kept falling, falling, falling. But he persevered and Keegan and I just kept laughing and laughing.

Miriam is an excellent little climber and her specialty is getting down all by herself. She still doesn't like to take solitary steps (without a finger or piece of furniture to hold) but will do it every once in awhile and it seems like when she thinks no one is looking :-) After Roe's rambunctious walking fest she started to get braver as well and is working on that whole balance in motion thing. They are both quite simply adorable, happy little people.

Here are some of the things they love and don't love and some little idiosyncrasies. (Disclaimer: Unless you are family, especially grandmas... you may find this boring.)
Miri loves to touch the light fixture in their room as soon as she is picked up from out of her crib. Sometimes she's really hesitant to touch it at first so I'll stand there with her over my head for awhile before she finally does and gets that look of proud satisfaction on her face. She is pretty good at turning the pages of books- and sometimes even at the appropriate times. :-) She will carry a book over to me walking on her knees and then turn around to sit on my lap with it. If she is ever tired during the sleep-time routine and is fussing- she will stop as soon as I start reading a book. She has a cute little laugh that turns into a big one when tickled- especially by dad. She likes to smile at strangers and wave to them and says 'dada' a lot. Her hair is out of control most days, and most days I put little effort into controlling it. In her opinion hair is to wipe food in during meals, and hair-bows are better to suck on than keep hair in place. (Plus when brother remembers they are there he will try to pull them out to suck on too.) The first sign she picked up on from watching "Baby Signing Time" was 'hat' because she loves to pat her head and to have hats on. The other day when I said- "be careful it's hot!" little Miri started patting her head and doing the sign for "hat." It was pretty cute. Her dad has taught her how to say "hockey" and it comes out more like "Odtee" but we know what she means. She does sign "more," "eat," and "all done" on occasion but not always at the right times.

I can hardly stress enough how very good natured Miriam is. She is almost always happy and wanting to make others happy and laugh. She has a cute little smile and laugh and even when she flares her nostrils really big while smiling or laughs her deep throaty gurgly laugh- it is still cute to us :-)


Rowan loves to flip the light switch at any chance possible and will do the classic chant and point whenever he gets out of the crib or if we are holding him and happen to walk by a light switch (which is a lot!). He likes to sit on my lap too while reading stories and to read books. For some reason when we read a story with an elephant in it he always touches it or tries to put his mouth on it. I'm not sure why. He usually doesn't mind sharing my lap with sister but every once in awhile he'd rather get up and roam instead of sitting there. Go figure. If he is sleepy he LOVES to have a blanket to bite and cuddle- especially while drinking a sippy cup.


They both love to be spun in circles and cling on really tight. (I usually do this with one in each arm.) They love looking out the big window in the front room. The best is playing peek-a-boo with each other in the curtains- then banging on the window. They make each other laugh and it is pretty much one of the cutest things I've ever seen. A Monday morning, tradition at our house is watching for the garbage truck to come to our cul-de-sac to pick up the trash. A special treat is every other week when TWO trucks come- another for the recycling :-)

They love their dad and will wave faithfully goodbye to him -even after he has ridden his bike out of sight. For awhile whenever we would say the word 'Dad,' Rowan would automatically start waving- probably because it seemed like Keegan was always either coming or going. They love to go on walks, eat things from off the floor that they refused to eat when it was on their tray (and hence threw it on the floor) and I never can sweep and mop fast enough. They both try to crawl into the tub with their clothes on and like to splash in the water, suck on whatever is in there (including the drain plug), and lay down to listen to themselves or me talking from under the water. They LOVE animals. Whenever we are on walks and see a cat they cry when it goes too far away.


They both dislike getting their diaper changed and would rather keep playing instead of laying still (especially Miri). Neither of them care for bread very much unless it is a flavored bagel, spread with peanut butter or has melted cheese inside. Even then a WHOLE lot of it ends up on the floor :-) Hopefully this will change soon. They don't like it when I don't give into their pleadings for things they can't have and will throw fits. They don't like getting back into their stroller or carseats after being somewhere fun they don't want to leave. But I've found if I just give them some food then they will be fine and I can at least strap them in again :-) For example leaving the library prematurely (b/c they haven't quite thrown enough books off the shelves in the children's section -which is thankfully not organized- or crawled around screaming their happy screams quite enough).

Well, that's about it for this update- I promise the next one will have pictures!

1 comment :

Than & Lina said...

Cute kids! I hope I can meet them soon!