March 25, 2010

First Major Bike Accident

Yesterday I got hit by a car while riding my bike to work. To be more accurate, I actually ran into the car-but that's because it didn't stop at the sign on 4th north and 2nd west.

It was an ordinary day like any other, I had just pounded my usual morning glass of 5 raw eggs (Ok, it was more like Cap'n Crunch) and I headed for work. I put my headband on under my helmet, covered my hands with my wool bum gloves and saddled up my Redline and headed to work. After traveling about two blocks I noticed a red headed girl about to cross the street from the west side of 2nd west to the east. I slowed in anticipation for her to cross but she didn't, so I continued going south.  I made it about a quarter of the way through the intersection when I noticed a champagne SUV out of the corner of my right eye blow right through the stop sign. I realized then that if I continued on the course I was on I would be struck head on, so I immediately slammed on my brakes.  Realizing I was going to collide with the vehicle and fearing that if my front wheel hit first I would probably be sent toppling over my handlebars, I sort of stiff armed the car with my left hand. The impact from the hit sent me flying off the right side of my bike, knocking my water bottle out of its cage, and scraping the right brake lever. When I got up I checked my jacket on the right elbow side to make sure it wasn't torn. It was rippled, but not tattered. The only damage I noticed was a small rip above my right knee where I landed on the cement, and a sore left wrist from bracing myself for the impact. I stared at the vehicle in disbelief as an elderly lady came to my aid, telling me how awful she felt. She apologized repeadetly and kept asking if I was OK. I told her I was fine and the only thing I could ask her was how she missed the stop sign. She never gave me a satisfactory answer, however she wanted to help in any way she could. I told her to give me her number at I would look over my bike, my jacket, and myself and let her know if everything was alright.

Turns out other than a few scrapes and bruises I was fine, but the whole experience was something else.  I called the woman later that evening to assure her I was feeling OK. She told me she had been thinking about me all day and expressed her gratitude for my call, and felt reassurance that I wasn't harmed.

No comments :