May 7, 2009

Baby Mama Drama

This weekend we will be celebrating our anniversary in a room with WiFi, cable TV, shower, and reclining bed. Unfortunately, the bed is not big enough for the two of us. Today we checked into our honeymoon suite, room 3 of St. Mark's hospital in Salt Lake City :-/

Yesterday at our 20 week check up we found out were having a boy! AND a girl! which was good news, but that bad news is Martha was diagnosed with an "incompetent cervix" (more common with multiple births) and reccomended for surgery. Our doctor suggested we get a second opinion from a Perinatologist, so today we took work off to go down to Ogden Regional for an appointment. The specialist there confirmed our Logan doctor's recommendation, and sent us to St. Mark's in Salt Lake where it looks like we will spend the weekend. Sometime tommorrow, Martha will undergo a cervical cerclage procedure. After the surgery, they want to keep her here for a couple more days until things are under control. Unfortunately, we didn't prepare for a weekend stay, so we came only with the clothes on our back. We also didn't bring our cell phone chargers, so if you need to get a hold of us you might have to dial Room 3: 801-743-6772. Room 232: 801-743-6741

In general, the surgery is relatively low risk, but there is still a chance the amniotic sac (water) could break, causing premature labor. There is also a chance the surgery could cause an infection which could also lead to early labor. We are hoping for the best and appreciate those who keep us in their prayers. We'll keep you updated as things develop.

Update #1: It's now Friday at about 3:00, the surgery went well; now we are just waiting until everything is stable enough for us to return home. It will probably be sometime on Sunday. Wow, I had no idea how boring being confined to a hospital could be.

Update #2: Friday 7:00pm - Martha's friend Janet payed us a visit and brought a bag of cell phone chargers. We found a donor for Martha's phone, so feel free to give her a call, I'm sure she'd love to hear from ya.

Update #3: Saturday 4:00pm - I was going crazy cooped up here so I drove back to Logan late last night. We now have our chargers, clean clothes, reading material, etc. to make our stay more pleasant. They will probably release Martha sometime Monday morning and then she will be on bed rest for two weeks maybe longer.

14 comments :

Kortney Wilson said...

congrats on the baby news. a boy and a girl that is so exciting!! but im sorry about having surgery, thats not fun. we will keep you in our prayers. good luck with everything...keep us posted.

Clara said...

Yeah for a boy and a girl! I am so excited!

You guys are in our prayers every night but we will be praying extra hard for you the next few days.

and Happy Anniversary! :)

Shannon said...

Wow! It sounds like you have a busy weekend planned. Congratulations on the WiFi and the Reclining Bed. :-) We're so sorry to hear about the surgery. I hope everything goes well. Thank goodness for modern medicine and that they were able to catch this early. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. If you need anything, let us know!

Jen and Tyson said...

YEA! Congrats on the BOY and GIRL! How awesome is that!!!

We will for sure keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers!!! We hope that the surgery goes great! Good Luck with everything!!

Patrick and Paige said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We will keep you in our prayers. Hope all goes well and keep us updated!!!

The Poulsen Family said...

Yeah for a boy and a girl!!
Can I bring you anything? To eat or clothes? I live in Salt Lake and only 10 minutes from St. Marks and I would love to help you out if possible. You can email me jjpoulsen01@yahoo.com or call me 801-792-5072
-Janet Carpenter Poulsen

Bridget said...

Wow. I haven't checked your blog for a while and now I find out that you are pregnant, with twins, and they're a boy and a girl, and you're having surgery, all in one post! I will be thinking about you and praying all goes well! Take care.

Jennifer said...

That's great you're having a boy and a girl! What fun!

I hope everything goes well with surgery! Good luck--and happy anniversary!

The Lotts said...

You are in our prayers. Hope everything goes well.

Hilary said...

Wow Keegan you are really getting an education about lady parts, aren't ya? That is SOOO cool that you are have a boy and girl. You guys are really going to roll it in at the baby shower :) Have faith, it will all be fine. Good luck with the personal hygiene though :)

Tasha said...

Good Luck you two (or I mean four)!

Shannon said...

Thanks for updating us! I'm glad the surgery went well. Let us know if you need anything when you get home!

Day Family Blog said...

I am so excited about you having a boy and a girl. I bet you will really be able to tell the innate differences between boys and girls. I want to stop by and visit sometime, but I will give you a call before. Maybe I will just come with Brad cuz I know he is really worrying about you guys. Hope you can get the rest you need and that you are feeling well. Let me know if you need anything.

Mikael said...

congrats on the boy AND girl (but scary too because having fraternal twins means you are at great "risk" for having twins again... hehe). Glad the surgery went well. I love your updates on the babies, that is why I read the blog, keep updating!