September 28, 2008

Quest for the Perfect Shave

I think the quest for the perfect shave began sometime in 2006 when I reluctantly purchased Mach 3 refills as I had done so many times before. I think I paid around $15 for 8 cartridges. I know some guys use those refills over and over, but I say a fella can get five shaves max. Tired of wasting my $ on those things, and more importantly the fact I was left with a red, irritated, cut-up face and neck, I decided 1) Not shave as often 2) Search for a decent alternative. It seems like the former won out—probably for other reasons too—but nevertheless the journey continued. I don't remember where I first read about wet shaving, but I knew it was something I had to try. I read a few how-to-shave guides that inspired me, so I forked out the dough for some supplies.

I started with a vintage Black King straight razor stamped 'Solingen, Germany' on the tang. I bought a badger hair brush, a mug to hold my cup soap, and a strop to sharpen the blade. I shaved with this for a couple weeks thinking I would get the hang of it eventually but I just ran out of patience. No doubt it was the closest shave I ever had, but at what cost? Taking 30+ min to shave just wasn't worth it to me, at least not as a daily ritual. I even sought the advice of an old skool barber while I lived in Tomball, TX. He gave me a few good tips including covering my face with baby oil before I lathered up to help the razor glide across my face. He also suggested I try a smaller razor because it would be more manuvarable. These suggestions helped and did shorten my morning ritual, but I wasn't content enough to give up the search.

Then I stumbled upon this blog in which the author reccommended a single bladed safety razor like this one. I bought one similar only with a longer handle. I think it cost me around $20. After trying it a few times, I knew this was the instrument my face had been longing for. After deciding this was the razor for me I purchased 100 refils (yes one hundred) double edge razors for around $20. They threw in some liquid shaving soap as well as some after shave balm (no joke!) Although I am still learning the proper technique I can tell I am going in the right direction. My once a week habit of shaving will be a tough one to break but perhaps frequency will increase.

My friends, I urge you to try this. If nothing else, at least throw away your can of Barbasol shaving foam and use the badger hair brush with mug soap. The warm lather is thicker, it will open your pores and prepare them for the shave. Your face is worth investing a little time in. Also in a year, you will find that you will actually save money by not having to be reliant on those Mach 3 refills.

No comments :