April 10, 2009

Nachos & Horchata DO Mix!

After last week's mishap with the nachos, my craving was left unsatisfied. So over the weekend Keegan took me to a little Mexican place called Rancharito's (formerly called Beto's). We ordered a HUGE plate of nachos and opted to stay inside the restaurant to eat so if we spilled it would at least be on a table. :-)

Midway through Keegan suggested I try some Horchata. I was definitely curious and usually enjoy trying new things, so we ordered some. I loved it! For those of you who have never had it, the drink is a perfect blend of rice milk and cinnimon. It has a unique taste and took a little getting used to at first, but I was very happy to discover a new drink.
We looked at a few recipes online to see how complicated it would be to make ourselves. Pretty complicated was our answer. But, I figured why not. So at the store we looked in the ethnic food isle for some cheese cloth to drain all the rice particles. But instead of cheese-cloth we found a mix... all too easy and so worth it. Keegan then headed to get the milk only to discover that there was a jug of Horchata already mixed. I was impressed... how have I missed it all these years?! Maybe next I'll have to try the strawberry.

(This isn't really Keegan but it sure looks like it at a glance... however that IS Horchata that his look-a-like is drinking ;-)

Sidenote: My hispanic students were very pleased that I had finally discovered Horchata. They want me to try Manudo next... but I've heard too many bad stories of hairy cow tongues! They just laughed at me but after all, I'm still a white girl!

2 comments :

Mansius Family said...

My husband would just love for me to have a craving. With this being my 4th pregnancy I still have not had any really strong cravings. I still can't believe that you are having twins. That is exciting! When is your due date?

Hilary said...

that stuff is delish. remember lots of ice :)