December 5, 2008

Slower Traffic Keep Right

While riding home from work at dusk, as I often do, I neared the final turn before I arrived home. Normally, I ride on the shoulder of the road. However, in preparation for the left turn I make at the four-way stop on 6th north & 2nd west I slide over to the middle of the road. Before drifting to the middle of the street I check over my shoulder for any traffic. Incidentally, I am going to get one of those helmet mirrors. I know they're nerdy but I think such an item could prove useful. This time when I checked over my shoulder the glow of a single light was all I could see. It was too small to be that of a motorcycle, though. About five car lengths from the stop sign I checked again. This time the light was closer; enough that I could identify it to be that of a fellow biker. I had my left hand hanging out slightly indicating my desire to drift left, but I didn't want to fade left just yet because this mystery cyclist was hot on my tail. Now about three car lengths from the stop sign, the dude passes me up. As he overtook me, I greeted him with a 'hey'. The kind of 'hey' you would give a relative that showed up uninvited to Thanksgiving dinner. He replied with a 'how ya doin?' only it was more like 'how ya doin now that I passed you up, sucka'

How do I know it was three car lengths? Because there were two cars in line at the stop sign! This made for an awkward situation. Four-way stops are bad enough in Utah, let alone for a biker who everyone thinks is helpless and urges to go first. Add a second biker to the scene and things get crazy. Why he didn't just wait for me to drift left, and then pass on the right, is beyond me. I pondered it as I rounded the last block into the home stretch. The guy was a middle-aged dude with glasses. I wish more than anything he has a blog and I could find it. Sorry I could only give you my version. I'm sure his side of the story would be even better. "Dear Journal, Today while I was riding my bike home I totally blew by this punk!"

If I see this fella again I vow not to let him pass. I don't think my pride could handle it.

No comments :