November 16, 2008

Soulful Strut

The other day, Keegan had a song stuck in his head-which meant it also got stuck in my head. The problem with this song was that it didn't have any lyrics- purely instrumental. Usually when this is the case, he'll figure it out in a matter of hours on his own- if not, he can call on the reinforcements of perpetual song knowledge; his dad. (And back-up in the Soul and R&B genre, Mikey Geurts) But this time no matter where he turned there wasn't an answer. He asked his co-workers and even asked me, even though I'm sure he knew I wouldn't be much help- but I appreciated the gesture none the less. He whistled and hummed the tune over and over again and soon his quest became my quest.

The very next morning on my way to work I got made fun of by my carpool buddy for listening to the oldies station :-) But it was worth it because when we were almost all the way through Logan Canyon the song came on!! I was so excited! I kept it on the station so I could intently listen to the DJ when he came on to tell the info about the song. There was about a minute or so left of the song and the static just kept increasing and increasing.... it got so bad I turned the station...it was so sad. I was so close! Once we got into Brigham City I turned it back and the static was gone... I hoped that the DJ just went to the next song and would wait to announce both of the songs at the same time...nope.

As soon as I got inside I got online to find out the stations number. When I found their website there was a blaring add called "WHAT SONG WAS THAT?!" Well, that's what I wanted to know, so I clicked it. I e-mailed the station and went to work on preparing for my exciting school day. (This may sound weird- but I love the sex-ed unit! It was a fun day. Kids are just so funny.) I checked my e-mail at lunch and the DJ had responded about three hours earlier! Here's what he said for those of you who just want to know the name of the song already (if you haven't guessed by the blog title).

The song you were asking about is Soulful Strut by Young Holt Unlimited - they were part of The Ramsey Lewis Trio. The song also has lyrics and was a hit by a group called Swing Out Sister- that song is called Am I the Same Girl and came out about 1981. Thanks so much for listening and I hope this helps.

Dave Denton
KOOL 103.9

Keegan and I usually talk online every lunch- so I was so excited to tell him! I cut and pasted the e-mail info to him and here's our convo from there...

me: heard it on the way to work today ;-)
Keegan: i know the DJ just told me he played it this morning
me: who did you call?
Keegan: kool 103.9
me: haha thats funny. when did u call him?
Keegan: bout 30 min ago
me: nooo! he replied to me about 3 hours ago-- but I didn't check it till now
me: ah well- I tried to help beb :-(
Keegan: that's so funny. thanks a million. did u e-mail him or what?
me: yeah...just a link that says, "What song was that!?

When I picked him up from work that day he told me about the conversation he had with the DJ and it was pretty funny.

"I've had this song stuck in my head and I can sing it for you, and I'm telling you right now that I'm going to sing it perfectly so don't make me sing it again and don't make fun of me." The DJ told him to go ahead and he stopped him after only a few notes. He told him all of the info that he sent me in the e-mail. I wonder if it was fresh in his mind ;-)

2 comments :

Hilary said...

that story was hilarious! i'll have to listen to that one.

Anonymous said...

whats your favorite year of songs ..kink is doing a 40 year count down ....today was 1978..