August 24, 2008

Lagoon-A-Beach in Utah

A couple weekends ago we got together with Julee and Danny George again and went to Lagoon. It was so fun! Julee was able to get us cheap tickets through her company which was really nice. (Full-cost tickets are about $40!) For those of you not familiar with the Utah area, Lagoon is an amusement park that has both a water park and regular amusement park complete with rides, games, and almost-better-than-shaved-ice...churros. In a lot of ways it compared to Disneyland. Not better than, but comparable. It's just missing the magic of Mickey.

The George's had a lot of family there so we didn't end up spending too much time with them, but we were able to squeeze in a couple of roller coasters before they met up with family. Danny was a good sport about hitting some of the more intense rides... I think he would have preferred to go to KiddieLand but he sucked it up and we were glad he did. (The picture above is the coaster we rode first.)

Keegan and I went on as many rides as we could. We met some good people on our many adventures and it was fun to talk to complete strangers while waiting in line and figure out all the things we had in common. We met one of the cutest father-daughter pairs while waiting for a log-ride. We didn't talk too much with them because they were deaf but he communicated perfectly that he wanted me to sit in front so I would get soaked... and I did :-) I always really appreciate seeing a parent/child relationship like theirs. I had to try not to stare but they were just so fun to watch... so playful and expressive with each other. They were having fun together and it was nice to see.

The longest line we waited in was for one of the thrill-water slides. You basically drop 85 ft down and I have to admit I was going to completely forgo this slide. However I had some gentle persuasion and in the end, I was glad. We met a couple and two teenage girls that we talked to the majority of the time. All of the girls were pretty hesitant. When we finally got to the top I was the first to go down. We decided that if it was worth it- I would get to a spot, at the bottom, where they could see me. Once there I could give the other girls the thumbs up for some extra motivation to bite the bullet... and also to let Keegan know I wasn't mad at him for persuading me to do it in the first place! I was pretty close to going right back up and doing it again...definitely worth it.

The water park was our favorite. We stayed there for a good four hours basking in the sun and riding every slide we could. Like almost every amusement park they too charged for everything extra, so we definitely took the cheap way out whenever possible. We didn't pay $5 for lockers or $10 for tubes, but we had to splurge the $3 for a churro before the night was through! But back to the water park...the last hour we ended up getting some tubes from a family that was leaving and rode a lot of the "tube only" water slides. When he heard we were going to Lagoon, Keegan's Uncle J told us about one slide in particular that was his favorite--and I think we went down it about 10 times. At around 6 o'clock there was virtually no line so we just kept racing back up to the top to do it again...I felt like a little kid.

We will definitely have to go there again next summer to hit all of the rides we missed and re-live all of our new found favorites. We were pretty exhausted when we met up with the George's after our churro so we ended up heading back to their house to stay the night. We didn't have too much left in us but it was fun to stay up talking for awhile.

(Pics are mostly taken with a camera phone from the Gondola or the HUGE Farris wheel)

No comments :