June 24, 2008

Country Weekend

The first official weekend of Summer 2008 was a good one. Martha picked me up from work along with our pals Nathaniel and Lina to go camping at Cinnamon Creek, a small campground the church owns just past Paradise. The gravel road leading to the campsite was kinda sketch, very narrow and right along Porcupine dam's reservoir--no guardrails. There were about 20 other couples in attendance, many of whom, like us, brought tin foil dinners. I forgot how long those things take to cook. I swear we must've waited at least an hour. Our friends Marcie and Travis brought pita bread, pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings. Now that was a smart idea! I think Travis saw me eyeing his with envy, because he offered to make me one and I gratefully accepted. I really enjoyed sitting around the fire and conversing with our pals from church. I always like when the darkness finally overtakes the light because all the stars are visible. The city just doesn't display them like the country. Once everybody's food settled, we brought out the obligatory marshmallows. It just isn't a campout unless mallows are roasted. Me and Martha were one step ahead, we came prepared with bananas, mini marshmallows, and sweet morsels of all varieties. I can't remember the last time I wrapped a banana boat in tin foil, it turned out magnificently. We slept so-so that night, but woke up to a superb breakfast. We came home and took a nap to make up for that lost sleep.

That evening, we attended the Cache Valley rodeo. I hadn't been to one in awhile and it was the first rodeo Martha's ever been to. One unlucky fella fractured his leg after getting bucked off a bull. Being from Oregon, it was refreshing to be in a place that was not so politically correct. Somehow I doubt that the rodeo clown's speech required meticulous preparation by a public relations specialist. Events included (and I am unsure of their official names but here goes): bareback bronc riding, saddled bronc riding, bull riding, mutton busting, team roping, steer wrestling, an baby cow tying upping. I throughly enjoyed myself, the show entertainined me. Besides, I like being around country folk, they seem to appreciate America and the good Lord better than city folk do.

2 comments :

Hilary said...

Amen to that brother. (to that last part)

So what are these banana treats you speak of?

Jayme said...

Ditto to hilary's comment! Amen!